Well we finally made it yesterday after 3 long days! On Sunday we left Dallas at 5:45 am and drove the 16 HOUR DRIVE to Atlanta to stay with Ashley's parents. Never knew it would take that long. Ugh. I was super duper tired, and Scout was miserable after that day. On Monday we made the 12 hour drive from Atlanta to Maryland (after a slight detour in Washington D.C.--no street signs properly labeled with east/west/north/south directions) where we stayed the night at a hotel. Day 3 we drove the short 5 hours from Maryland to New York.
Day 3 of the journey, Day 1 in Brooklyn:
So we got to NYC around 11 am yesterday, and we thought we would have plenty of time to relax, unpack a few things, and wait around for the movers. WRONG!! There is a one way street to the loading dock behind our building (Prince Street) and when we got here, the city was doing construction and there was a giant hole right in front of the loading dock. (See the link below!) We tried and tried on all the streets around us (which of course are all one way) and ended up having to call the city to have them cover the holes with the metal thingies so we could drive over the hole. An hour later, the hole was covered. I say "we" but really my aunt Pam is the real hero here. With the help of the construction workers she was brave enough to drive the truck and back it into the loading dock.
We pretty much got everything unloaded with the help of the movers by around 3:45 and the unpacking began. =) A BIG thank you to Pam once again for unpacking the kitchen for us, helping us move stuff in, breaking down boxes, the list could go on. The roomies and I made the trip to Whole Foods to get some food to eat for the next couple of days so we don't have to eat out every meal. At the end of this day Scout was extremely pooped! (See my facebook pics).
Day 2:
Today began by sleeping in until 8:30 (it was great!!!) and then had to get up because the cable guy was here. Yay for cable and internet! Boo for the fact that my computer is acting totally weird. Pam ventured out with Scout to the park down the street and he has met lots of new potential friends. Still not the same as our field buddies and Scout's brother from another mother Corbin. =) We made the adventure of driving tonight by going to Ikea and Walmart. Pam and Ashley said I should keep my car here because I'm getting to use my defensive driving skills. I've got the honking and cutting people off down pat. Ha! Getting to Ikea was easy, but Walmart was another story. Got lost once we got into Jersey (which sucks!) but eventually made it. I was super proud of myself because I drove us home and actually knew where I was going! Amazing! Did I mention we are STILL unpacking? =)
Tomorrow we are venturing out to Costco and Lowe's to try and find a little pantry cabinet because we don't have quite enough space for all of our food and dishes! I've also already had to make an appointment at the Apple Store tomorrow night to see what is wrong with my computer. Friday might be an inside day since it looks like it's going to monsoon rain all day due to the hurricane down south. After that we have to get Pam out into the city to try and get some sightseeing done! We plan on taking her to a nice dinner at Morton's Steakhouse and then go see the broadway show Jersey Boys.
I have a TON of pictures on my camera and will be updating them on my facebook page, so please be sure to check there soon!
LA


No comments:
Post a Comment